Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Show your LTCF to OC in Gander Mountain?

Tonight I stopped by Gander Mountain to return a rifle case that was a piece of crap. There wasn't enough foam to hold the gun in place, and as soon as you picked it up, everything fell to the bottom.

My letter to the store manager (going out tomorrow) pretty much details what occurred:

My address
Chambersburg, PA 17202
September 25, 2008



Shannon Platt
Gander Mountain
3285 Black Gap Road
Chambersburg, PA 17201

Dear Mr. Platt,

On the evening of September 24, 2008, I visited your store to return a rifle case that was unsatisfactory. Upon entering, I took my place at the Customer Service counter, behind a couple who was in the process of making a purchase. The clerk on duty (Garrett) told me that I needed to have the case checked. I replied that it was empty, and that I was going to be returning it. He asked me to go ahead and pop it open to show him, and I did so.

He then asked if I had a carry license for the holstered pistol on my hip. I replied to him that one does not need a license to 'open carry' a firearm. He asked again what I had said, and I repeated that “You do not need a license to open carry.” He made no further inquiry, and promptly processed my return as he was done with the previous customer.

I understand and have no issue with the policy of checking firearm being brought in for service, etc. I am also aware of the signs posted regarding those who have a “CCW” (though in Pa., it is called a License To Carry Firearms). I have previously visited your store while open carrying my firearm and have never had an issue.

I want to be clear. At no time was Garrett rude or unprofessional in any way. I also realize that he may be following store policy in regards to his actions, thus my letter to you.

I am requesting that you clarify your store's policy in regards to carrying firearms, either openly or concealed, and any requirement for someone to show their LTCF to store personnel. Even if I had been concealing my weapon (I do have a LTCF), I will not show my LTCF to store personnel if required as a condition of entry. Even the police must have legal cause to make such a demand, and cannot do so arbitrarily or “just to check”.

I also understand that Gander Mountain is private property, and as such, you have the right to allow or disallow certain behaviors there, even if they are legal. If you do not welcome my open carried firearm, or require that I show my LTCF as a condition of entry, please let me know. I will be happy to respect your wishes and take my firearm (and my business) elsewhere.

Sincerely,

2 comments:

Mike Stollenwerk said...

One approach to this line of repeated questioning about permits is to simply smile, cock your head and say somthing like, "Dude - I don't need no stinkin' permit to open carry :)"

Anonymous said...

ha! the last time i OCed at a Gander Mountain, i got my own personal "shopping assistant" to follow me around the store while i shopped. of course, it was in Dickson City....